RE: How to install info files?

> When try "info gdb", I get an error message "info: dir: No such file or
> directory".
> GDB is installed on my machine. How I can install the info file?

I have also suffered from this issue on a new install.  I am not an expert but since no one has
responded maybe my solution will help.

I modified the /etc/profile file.  I will give you the original line commented out and the new
line.

#INFOPATH="/usr/local/info:/usr/info:/usr/share/info:/usr/autotool/devel/info:/usr/autotool/stable/info:$INFOPATH"
INFOPATH="/usr/share/info"
export INFOPATH

Older places that I have installed cygwin did not have these lines at all, and interestingly
didn't have the INFOPATH env variable set but info still works.  My new install did need the
INFOPATH env variable set.

I tried many variations on this variable.  For example even tried
INFOPATH="/usr/share/info:$INFOPATH"

And the extra colon in the var caused it to fail.  I am thinking that if there is any path without
the "dir" file it will cause problems.  I had dir files in /usr/share/info and /usr/local/info but
the file in /usr/local/info was empty (zero bytes).

Maybe if there is a real problem this will help someone track it down.

Clint