Re: GPL violation ?

At 07:54 AM 5/8/2004, you wrote:
>"Do not feed the trolls."

Which troll is that?

>I honestly did not expect any replies; I
>hate these discussions as much as anybody.  I will keep this brief.

While I respect your right to voice your opinions here, the reason I
responded was that I didn't want anyone to misconstrue your opinion as
some policy of this list.  Although I expect there wouldn't be too much
confusion about your response, I thought it better to be clear than to
leave something like this to question.

>Larry Hall <cygwin-lh@cygwin.com> writes:
>
>> Then your gripe is with the GPL.  The point is, whether you agree
>> with all the tenants of the license or not, you cannot selectively
>> apply it based on your own interpretation or preferences. Doing so
>> renders the license unenforceable for every situation, because the
>> license doesn't discriminate.
>
>Where did you get this idea?
>
>I am not a lawyer.  But according to my friend who specializes in
>intellectual property, selective enforcement does NOT weaken your
>license.  As copyright holder, you may grant different licenses to
>different people or enforce a single license as whimsically as you
>like.  These are copyrights, not trademarks.
>
>Of course, if your own lawyer says differently, you should follow his
>advice.

And so that's what the folks on this list do.

>P.S.  Yes, yes, everybody should respect the license without
>exception.  But that is irrelevant to the point.  Everybody should do
>lots of things.  You cannot fix them all; you have to prioritize...

And if that's what works for you, that's what you should do.  However,
the previously stated stance for this list is to enforce the license
without exception.

Holliston, MA 01746