Fwd: RE: Problems with Indirect Interpretation (#!/bin/csh, #!/bin/tcsh, #!/bin/perl, etc...)

Note: forwarded message attached.

--- Begin Message ---
I suppose putting the '.' at the end of $PATH would be
a compromise since the directories should be scanned
in thier order in $PATH right?

  It's a security measure for the medium-to-fairly
paranoid. :-O

  Basically it protects you against the possibility
that some virus/trojan
might e.g. dump a copy of itself under the filename
'ls' into your home dir
or somewhere.  If you had '.' in the $PATH, as soon as
you log in and run
ls, you'd end up executing the trojanned version; if
you don't have . in
your $PATH, you know for sure that you'll always be
executing the version in
/bin, which presumably (on a well secured system) will
be read-only to
everyone except root, and hence less likely to have
been trojanned/infected.

    cheers,
      DaveK