Re: cygpath

On Wed, 12 May 2004, Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:

> --- Dave Yost wrote:
> [snip]
> > I have a small problem.
> >
> > I have a path ../foo:../bar
> >
> > When I use the --path argument, cygpath insists on converting the relative
> > paths into absolute paths.  I wish it wouldn't do that.  But I can understand
> > the need for backward compatibility, so could I request a --relative option?
>
> You might use a simple sed script to take out what you don't need.

Keeping relative paths might actually be useful functionality in cygpath.
<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC>.

> > Also:
> >
> > I have this nasty problem with the Sun 1.4.x JDK (fixed in 1.5.0-beta1).  I
> > pass in a classpath argument like this:
> >
> > javac -classpath `cygpath -w /usr/local/jdk/lib/tools.jar` X.java
> >
> > Problem is, /usr/local/jdk is a cygwin symlink, and the java runtime
> > apparently can't follow symbolic links or shortcuts.
>
> I don't use Java with cygwin, so maybe someone else on the list will have
> some ideas for this issue.

Use mounts instead of symlinks.  Alternatively, you can take the java
wrapper script I posted to this list some time ago[*], and modify it to
walk the classpath and resolve symlinks.
	Igor
[*] <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-01/msg00174.html> or use the CVS
version at :pserver:anoncvs@sources.redhat.com:/cvs/cygwin-apps (directory
wrappers/java).