Command line email clients

Hi,

I need to automate email notifications from a shell script. I also need to be able to set up the email servers for sending mail through a shell script. Which ever email client I use, I need to automate the process of setting up and sending mail.

I have looked at Pine and tried to find information on ssmtp but can't locate any information on it. Pine seems a bit much for what I need. I would like to be able to just send email and not have the overhead of Pine. Is there documentation on ssmtp that will show me how to setup a smtp server and send an email to it?

Thanks,

Robert Pollard