Re: Command line email clients

*** Robert Pollard (foorpollard@apple.com.net) wrote in the cygwin list today:

:) I need to automate email notifications from a shell script.  I also
:) need to be able to set up the email servers for sending mail through a
:) shell script. Which ever email client I use, I need to automate the
:) process of setting up and sending mail.
:)
:) I have looked at Pine and tried to find information on ssmtp but can't
:) locate any information on it.  Pine seems a bit much for what I need.

Hello Robert,

  I think your best option is to use Mutt, unless you really, really want
to use Pine. It is possible to use Pine, but only if you apply a patch to
make it work that way, Pine (without patching) does not send e-mail non
interactively. Pine does not require ssmtp, since Pine connects directly
to an SMTP server if you define "smtp-server" in your .pinerc file.

  If you really want to use Pine, you will have to build your own version.
and patch it with patches that you can find in my web page (address
below). You will need the patch "Pine sends e-mail from the command line"
and the patch for "Cygwin Version of Pine".

  I only have a patch for 4.58, although 4.60 is already out, the patch
for 4.60 is coming soon (and it will be much nicer than the patch for
4.58, very much like the patch for version 4.55).

  In case somebody is wondering, I am not planning to release Pine4.60 for
Cygwin yet, and probably won't unless it's marked as the stable release of
the pine4.6X series, which I doubt, because a couple of bugs have already
been found. When Pine4.6X becomes stable I will release a new version of
Pine.

Eduardo
http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/