CYGWIN 1.5.9-1 - Is vprintf() not thread safe?

I'm having problems with a program that uses vprintf() to show error messages. The program works fine when run as a single-threaded program. When compiled as a multi-threaded program, the console output of vprintf() is "interleaved" with output from the various threads mixed together. With a large number of threads, the program often drops core.

Adding a pthread_mutex_lock() and ..._unlock() pair around the vprintf() makes it work correctly and it no longer drops core.

From reading the GNU docs, I had the impression that functions such as
vprintf() were supposed to be thread safe. I have noticed that printf() also appears to not be thread-safe, but I haven't methodically checked all the related functions.

Please cc: any replies to me by e-mail as I am not subscribed to the list. Thank you in advance for any help that can be offered.

- John