RE: Cygwin's chmod +X

> I noticed while creating a bash script to backup my parents outlook &
> mydocuments folers, that WindowsXP does not recognize a "superuser" as
> being allowed access to a users folders!

You can only access a folder if you have been given permission (in the ACL)
unless you open it in backup mode. You can only change the ACL if you are
the owner of the folder. If you are an Administrator you can take ownership
of the folder and change the permissions. What you actually want to do is
change the owner of these folders to the Administrators group and then:
Before backing up:
cacls * /t /e /g yourusername:F
After backing up:
cacls * /t /e /r yourusername
or something like that...

In Local Security Policy you can change the default owner of objects created
by members of the Administrators group to Administrators by changing the
"System Object: Default owner for objects created by members of the
administrator group option" in Local Policies/Security Options.

Chris