From: gert_de_boer@ch.schindler.com [mailto:gert_de_boer@ch.schindler.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 7:53 AM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: mutt and ssmtp on Cygwin on Windows Server 2003 'child exited 127'

Somehow I do not succeed in configuring mutt or ssmtp with Cygwin on a
Windows 2003 server.

As an example of what happens:

$ echo hallo | mutt -s new_test myname@mycompany.com
Error sending message, child exited 127 (Exec error.).
Could not send the message.

The error is exactly the same as when I have a wrong 'sendmail' defined in
my .muttrc on a server where cygwin runs without any problem.  However I
defined it correct:
set sendmail=/usr/sbin/ssmtp

Executing ssmtp on its own delivers an empty mail at myname@mycompany.com,
so the error is not there.

It all works without any problem on Windows XP and Windows 2000.

So it seems something has changed in Windows 2003: for some reason mutt
cannot trigger ssmtp to do its job.

Something similar seems to happen between the CYGWIN cron service and the
scripts it is supposed to start. Nothing happens, but if I look in the
eventviewer I see the following order of events:

PID 3188: (myaccount) RELOAD (tabs/myaccount)

PID 3392: (myaccount) CMD (/home/myaccount/bin/test_mail.sh)

PID 3392: (CRON) error (can't switchuser context)

So it is just an idea of mine that somehow (some) programs are not able to
start others, due to some rigid security settings.

BTW, all the above is done as with a group account with administrator
rights on the server.

Gert de Boer

gert de boer at ch schindler com

cygcheck.out: