com1 access denied - win xp

Hi-ya,

I get an "Access is denied" error message when attempting to create a serial port connection through Cygwin, running on Win XP.

In cygwin, when I execute:
	ls -l COM1

I get the following:
	-rw-r--r--    1 mwood    mkgroup-        0 Jan  1  1970 COM1

However, when I execute:
	chmod a+rw COM1

the command exits normally (no error message), but the permissions on COM1 stay the same. Furthermore, I do not particularly understand why if I am the owner of COM1 (as illustrated by the 'ls -l'), why I would get a permission error.

I have successfully created and used a connection on the serial port on the same machine through a VMWare session running a Linux Red Hat image. I used a very similar procedure above, in that I simply changed the permissions on "/dev/ttyS0" to grant all users read and write permissions to the serial port.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

- Mike