Re: Problem with home installation

If you are getting a "bash-2.05b$" prompt you could look at /etc/group
and /etc/passwd. I find I need to hand-edit these two files both at home
and at work because in both locations I call myself "fergus" with all my
stuff under /home/fergus/: however, at home on installation of Cygwin
the computer thinks I'm "Administrator" and at work it thinks I'm
something else again. If you have copied a lot of stuff under (dunno,
maybe something like) /home/john/ and that's who you think you are and
that's how you want Cygwin to think of you, then /etc/group/ and
/etc/passwd/ need to be allowed to catch up with this decision.

If there's anything to this conjecture, then you could compare these two
files on the working setup with those on the non-working setup, and the
comparison might help you decide what to change?

Fergus