convert windows path to cygwin path in emacs

I've found that I can drag and drop files onto a shortcut to emacsclient and
the file will open in emacs - well sort of...  Actually, it gives me a new
buffer named the windows pathname.  For instance, if I drag c:\path\file.txt
onto my shortcut, I get a new buffer named c:\path\file.txt.  It would seem
like an easy task to add a hook for opening a file that would look for
filenames of this form and convert them to /cygdrive/c/path/file.txt.
However, I'm not a lisp programmer and don't know where to start.  Has
anyone done this already?  Any pointers?

Thanks,
Arthur