Re: Recent change in redirection handling?

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Ashok Vadekar wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 12:32:46PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > Incidentally, why do you redirect to NUL rather than to /dev/null?
>
> I usually end up having trouble when I try to use native windows
> excutables in bash scripts.  Redmond and I don't seem to see eye-to-eye
> on parameter passing etal.

FWIW, there's no magic with parameter passing, and Windows has little to
do with it.  As long as you quote strings properly, and convert POSIX
paths to Win32 ones, you shouldn't have a problem.

> So I end up testing the use of the executables in a DOS box first.  As a
> result, I used NUL.  When I put the functionality into the bash script,
> I just neglected to use the (unix) cannonical method.  In this
> particular case, in addition to the compact call, I was trying to set up
> environment variables through the use of REG, and was having trouble
> with the quotes and slashes getting handled differently by bash and CMD.
> Worse yet, the registry manipulation was going into a sprintf/system()
> call so that a binary was calling REG, so it was somewhat obscured.

FYI, <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#REGTOOL> should be
helpful...
	Igor
--