Re: PRINTER variable not exported in /etc/profile was: Printing under Cygwin on W2K

Steven,

Replies inline below.

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Steven Read wrote:

> Is there a "secret handshake" for http://... style printers? My printer
> is an IPP connection and lpr gives me an error message saying it cannot
> find http:\123.456.789.123:80\ipp. I have tried several different
> combinations of forward and back slashes but to no avail.

As far as I understand, Cygwin is able to access the Windows printers that
are either defined on your machine or shared via the Windows mechanisms.
Usually, whenever you have a printer with some type of connection on the
network, Windows needs to be aware of it to be able to print to it.  Do
Windows applications on your machine allow you to print to the printer
using the http://... style address, or do you need to refer to it using
another name?  If the latter, you'll need to use that same name with
Cygwin tools (e.g., "PRINTER='<printer name>' lpr <filename>").  If the
former, this feature is not implemented in Cygwin.

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>

> On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 01:39:03PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Chris Carlson wrote:
> >
> > > Also according to the documentation, cygwin understands the double-slash
> > > form used in Windows.  Thus the following should work:
> > >
> > >         bash$  cat myfile.txt > //Dc1irv/laser1
> > >
> > > This returns:
> > >
> > >         bash: //Dc1irv/laser1: No such host or network path
> >
> > Nope, that shouldn't work.  I don't think you can redirect output to a
> > printer name even from the Windows console, much less from Cygwin.  In
> > any case, Cygwin doesn't treat printer shares as devices.

While I'm replying to this thread, I'd like to apologize for the above
misinformation.  Redirecting to the shared printer name works just fine,
as it turns out.

> > > So, what is the proper method for printing under cygwin?
> >
> > Either "lpr" or, if you want to get fancier, "a2ps" or "enscript".
> >       Igor
>
> lpr works just fine here with a minor problem:
>
> $ lpr textfile.txt
> lpr: no printer specified
>
> though the printer is specified in /etc/profile. But the printer
> variable isn't exported there so lpr cannot find it. Should this be
> fixed?

HTH,
	Igor
--