Re: __getreent undefined on linux app build

At 04:40 PM 6/11/2004, you wrote:
>geneSmith wrote, On 6/11/2004 2:58 PM:
>
>>I have tried to build a linux app (actually a app and a shared library) that was made for linux and works there under cygwin. Was hoping for minimal changes. First off, it seemed that I had to tell the linker the c library name with -lc. That got rid of a ton of undefined references. However, it still has undefined reference to __getreent is every file when linking the shared library.
>> From reading this list, I see that __getreent comes from the cygwin1.dll at run time. I had more than cywwin1.dll on my system from misc apps and renamed them and rebooted. Still get the link error.
>
>Looks like I can link to /lib/libcygwin.a to resolve it. Not sure if that is right way but program links and runs. (Not sure if it really works since need to talk to a box which I don't yet have via tcp/ip.) I tried to follow the procedure in the docs for linking against a dll but cygwin1.dll has no symbols.
>
>Or is libcygwin.a the "import library" for cygwin1.dll?  If so, I guess I am ok.

Yes, libcygwin.a is the import library.  But I don't understand why you
need it (or -lc either for that matter).  Just compiling with Cygwin's
gcc/g++ gets you all this, unless you're using -mno-cygwin, in which
case you're undoing it by explicitly linking Cygwin anyway.  Clearly,
you're doing something I don't understand but in the whole sheme of
things, my understanding of your problem isn't a requirement for
anything. ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746