prime95 adversely affects update on w2k (resolved)

I can not reproduce the problem I had experienced, and after
reviewing the setup log, understand my failure to exit all cygwin
apps prior to the update played a part in the difficulties I faced.

While prime95 may well have been a factor, it was only so in
unusual circumstances.

To simplify my life in keeping multiple cygwin installs updated
(especially when not all have ready internet access) I had done
a complete wget of the cwru cygwin mirror to a local drive.
I then burned a CD with everything but the source files.

The first place I tried this out, I asked to re-install all
packages.  Due to having neglected to exit all cygwin apps,
four files were scheduled for reboot replacement.

From there things went downhill. I may have tried reinstalling
again prior to rebooting.  Some postinstall script wound up
producing an endless stream of messages ...
   "Overwrite existing /etc/ftpusers file? (yes/no)"
and I found myself missing cygintl-2.dll.  Things looked like
they were stuck when I tried disabling prime95, and this seemed
to allow progress to continue.  Although I had to copy the
cygintl-2.dll from another box, I did manage to get everything
updated just fine eventually.

Other updates without prime95 went smoothly, so I drew an
incorrect conclusion.  (Of course in those other cases there
were no overlooked cygwin apps running as the update took place).

So the bottom line is to make sure all cygwin apps are terminated
prior to an update.  If setup says you must reboot, you really
do have to reboot.  Looking back now, it all seems rather funny.

neal