Carriage Returns

To whom it may concern:

I have a real problem with the way that cygwin/cygwin's version of perl
handles carriage returns (\r).  I was working on a program in perl on
cygwin which takes input from files.  I stripped newlines from the input,
and then found that the strings that I stripped newlines from suddenly
would print on top of other strings when I printed them.  Eventually I
figured out that cygwin takes the carriage return *literally*.  It really
goes back to the beginning of the same line if there is no newline.  Does
that really make sense?  Shouldn't it just treat the carriage return as a
newline?  I ran the same program with the (dos formatted) input files on a
redhat linux machine.  The carriage returns are completely ignored (which
would be reasonable behavior for cygwin, too).  If there are good reasons
for the way cygwin handles carriage returns, let me know.  Else, I suggest
that you change this behavior for the next release.

Thanks,
John