Re: /usr/bin exists not; man can't find nroff; permissions inconsistent

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Carlo Florendo wrote:

3APA3A wrote:

Dear Carlo Florendo,

d:\cygwin\/bin /usr/bin system binmode
d:\cygwin\/lib /usr/lib system binmode

remount /usr/bin and /usr/lib correctly.

Great! First, from cmd prompt, I unmounted everything using:

umount -A

Then, I mounted the root directory using

mount d:\cygwin /

Then, I made /usr/bin a symbolik link to /bin by:

ln -s /bin/ /usr/bin

NO, NO, NO! Don't use symlinks. /usr/bin and /usr/lib are supposed to be *mounted*. Simply "mount -f d:/cygwin/bin /usr/bin" and "mount -f d:/cygwin/lib /usr/lib". Otherwise lots of stuff will break when you least expect it. Just for consistency, you might also want to "mount -f -b d:/cygwin/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts", although that's optional since your primary mount is binmode.

Oh Igor! Thanks for the pointers. I guess I have to read more about cygwin mounts.

Now, everything works fine now. Gee, why did I have to do that? Isn't
that supposed to be taken cared of by setup?

I have a feeling you've hit on the "trailing backslash in Cygwin root"
bug. It was discussed on the list about a month ago -- just search the
archives (using Google).
Igor

Ok. I'll do that!

Thanks!