Re: Setting up cygwin so other users can run processes on my computer

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 02:32:55PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> Just to get this into the archives: ssh-host-config can certainly emit a
> warning on non-system mounts, but having separate set of user mounts for
> the SYSTEM user will also work just fine...  In fact, that'd make it
> possible to have a whole different /etc/passwd (and /etc/group) file
> readable only to SYSTEM (via a user mount).  Ugly, but workable... :-(
> I'm by no means advocating the above setup, but I could think of some
> situations where it might be useful (and it has come up a few times on
> this list).
> 	Igor

Still for the archives, the user mounts for SYSTEM are stored in the
registry entry of the default user and can thus be picked up in a
number of odd cases. For security reasons these entries shouldn't be
writable by non-administrators (that seems to be the factory default).

I don't think it's necessary for ssh-host-config to consider all cases,
a user capable of setting user mounts for SYSTEM should be able to
disregard a warning.

Pierre