Setup.exe "runtime error" on install

I have been using cygwin for quite a while, and this problem has
me baffled.

When I attempt to install cygwin (using setup.exe version 2.427), the
installation aborts with the following error:

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library"
Runtime error!
Program C:\cygwin-setup\setup.exe
This program has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an usual way.

I used to have cygwin installed on this computer (without problem)!  Abort
occurs after everything has been downloaded and the "Checking MD5 for
_update-info-dir-00227-1" setup.bz2 appears.

This is driving me -- has anyone seen this before?

Thanks,

-Frank