two instances of a.exe on dual processor - still only 50% performance

Hi guys,

I've tried to plough through your archives on dual processors and somebody
said that when you've got a dual processor machine, one has to start two
instances of one's program to get both processors working - one on each
job. Fine, this is what I used to do on a DEC Apha, but on my Windows box
this does not seem to be the case. I still get only 50% out of the box
when checking with taskmgr... What am I doing wrong? Do I need to write
"multi-threaded", whatever that is? Doesn't seem to make much sense to me.
Two perfectly independent jobs should run just fine along each other,
using both CPUs to the maximum...

Many thanks for any help!

Mathias