RE: Wrapping long lines (Was Re: FAQ update suggestion for "I'm having basic problems with find. Why?")

On Friday, July 09, 2004 10:39 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote

> On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 11:27:55AM +0100, William Blunn wrote:
>> I have set up several web-based systems which do this, and it wasn't
>> hard.
>
>> On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 06:26:27PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>> Finally, you (Igor) are right that we are not going to change the
>>> sourceware.org software to wrap in any other fashion than it does
>>> now.
>
> sourceware.org, the home of cygwin.com, is a technical site.  The
> mailing lists that it sponsors are for technical discussions.
>
> In these discussions, the formatting of messages could conceivably
> actually *mean something*.  It's entirely possible that someone meant
> to use 997 characters in one of the lines of their message to
> illustrate a point or even to provide a patch.
>
> So, I am not going to be spending my time hacking on the mailing list
> archiving software to add a special exception for cygwin mailing list
> denizens who want to forget about hitting enter and then read their
> messages on the web.  If the use of <pre> in the archives causes you
> problems, then please suffer in silence or find some other archiving
> site.  Maybe gmane would work better.
>
> Please do not insinuate that there is some technical or laziness
> barrier here.  You are perched precariously on your soapbox and
> apparently haven't really given the issue any real contextual thought
> other than "It's easy to do.  They should do it."
>
> Is this clear?  There will be no changes to the web site archiving.
> So, if this is what is causing everyone grave concern, then maybe
> this puts this issue to rest.

I always thought that the 'Because We're Just Mean' slogan was a joke.
Well apparently I was wrong.

I cannot believe the level of posturing I am seeing from the
Cygwin-elite.

I live in Memphis, TN, the town where Martin Luther King, Jr. was shot
and killed for trying to change they way things were.

If he and others had simply said, "Blacks and whites are separate but
equal.  That's the way it has always been and that is how it should stay
because it works.  It doesn't matter if true equality has merits and
would benefit some people; everybody else will just have to get over
it," where would The South (that's what it's called down here) be today?

Where would the United States be?

Cygwin is an amazing project.  The tools created by its members make
working in a Windows-centric environment much more bearable.

That does not give some of the project's top members the right to be
complete holier-than-thou ass holes.

I love what Cygwin has enabled me to do since I discovered it a few
years ago.  The community has always been quick to fix issues and keep
the tools up-to-date.  But this feeling that some people's opinions are
golden while others are tin just doesn't make sense.  And it has truly
injured ~my~ opinion of the project as a whole.

It is like when parents who think they know better simply say "because I
said so."

Please at least look into alternatives or "fixing" the system that
started this discussion.

Notice that I have lovingly set my mailer to wrap at 76 characters and I
am using Outlook-QuoteFix for some of the other niceties.  I still have
to manually fix in-line email addresses, though.  I do this to try and
appease the dysfunctional family of the online community of which I
joyfully a member of.

I know you can do 'mean'.  Try 'nice' or at least 'thoughtful and open
minded'.

-Jason

PS - I apologize in advance for the legal disclaimer at the bottom of my
email message.  This is tacked on by our SMTP gateway and I have no
control over it.  I have also put in a request to have the text wrap at
character 72 instead of just a single incredibly long line.

Confidentiality notice:
This e-mail message, including any attachments, may contain legally privileged and/or confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for delivery
of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, or copying of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message
in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail message from your computer.