How to run debugger?

Ah hah! Write a short program called test.c and gcc -g
test.c -o test.exe and ddd test.exe and then I see

Error: can't open display:

  Why does this not work?

So I download the insight debugger and tried
/cygdrive/c/dev/insight/bin/gdb.exe test.exe

This gives the error
stat "/cygdrive/c/tmp/test.c" no such file or
directory
  while executing

Well that is not true, the file is there! I tried
chmod 777 test.c but that did not help. The debugger
works, it just cannot load test.c for some reason!

Anyone know why?
    Siegfried