Re: PCYMTNQREAIYR Please Configure Your Mailer To Not Quote Raw E-mail Addresses In Your Replies.

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 11:36:41AM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>On Mon, 12 Jul 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>> >Elvin,
>> >
>> >This wasn't an arbitrary decision.  Both ways have been tried, and, in
>> >general, it was not possible to reliably munge e-mail addresses (and
>> >*only* e-mail addresses) in the archived messages.  This garbled the
>> >message contents, and so was turned off.  The headers are still munged...
>>
>> I still have it on my back burner to do some kind of intelligent munging
>> of email.  I wrote a sample filter that sort of worked but it needed more
>> intelligence to be really useful.
>>
>> Unfortunately real life has been stomping hard on me in the last few months
>> so I haven't gotten around to doing this.  I would love to not have to
>> keep telling people not to quote raw email addresses, though.
>>
>> cgf
>
>Great.  Lacking the information, I didn't want to make any statements
>about your degree of interest in this, but in light of the above my
>earlier sentense should probably say
>
>"...the list maintainers will be grateful for any help in doing this, and
>will probably want to try out suitably tested filters..."
>
>If anyone volunteers to help, I'm assuming you'd be willing to provide the
>sample filter as a basis, as well as the information on where to send
>patches, etc.

While the free software, collaborative philsophy is usually a good thing,
this really requires a few concentrated hours from me to hack on the
sourceware spam filters.  I wouldn't want to have someone else learn
its intricacies.

cgf