Re: rsync very slow, but not a network issue

Hi Steve,

Steven Hartland wrote:

Is this not because its showing you the network transfer rate i.e. spending
all its time doing compression and therefore not having to do actual
network transfers? How long did each test take?

I just performed the test again, this time timing the transfers with a stopwatch. (This time I was transferring a text file that consisted of 5 million zeros, which is about 5MB.) Here's what I found.

   scp: 19 seconds
   rsync (no there): 17 seconds
   rsync (already there): 93 seconds

So it's taking much longer in real time when the file is already there, which is exactly the situation where rsync is supposed to accelerate teh transfer.

The cygwin machine is a Pentium III 1Ghz, and the eMac is a bit faster I believe. This should be fast enough that it's not bottlenecking on the hash computation, I think.

Cheers,
Alexis