Re: maintaner of gcc

At 06:24 AM 7/15/2004, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

Robert wrote:

> Who's maintaining GCC for Cygwin?
> Ours is getting old. Gcc 3.4.1 came out a couple of weeks ago.

What is wrong with 3.3.x release series?  Are there any serious bugs?
Are there issues (for you)?  Why do you need 3.4.x?  Gfortran isn't
included, precompiled headers do not work on Windows/Cygwin, important
bugfixes are backported to 3.3.x.

> I could go ahead and compile it, but I don't know where the patches are to > make it use -mno-cygwin.

All the stuff is in the CVS repository.  Check the sources (or the
patchfile included with the Cygwin release of GCC).

> Mingw is using Gcc 3.4.0 as a candidate. I seen our version of 3.4.0, as

In the 3.4.0  release there was a serious bug in C++ and some Java build
issues.  I have not tried to build 3.4.1 yet, sorry.

AFAICT everyone who has tried has been successful in building and testing the standard gcc-3.4.1 and 3.4.2 on cygwin, but shows well over 100 testsuite failures due to non-support of pch. At least 3 different people have posted the results on gcc-testsuite. I don't count problems such as my failure to build it in 32-bit mode on x64. C++ in my own current project doesn't build with 3.3.4, but is good with 3.4.x. I agree that my project is not "important" nor trendy enough to backport fixes to 3.3.x. According to testsuite, Java is slightly better in 3.4.x. I don't know that anyone has tackled the cygwin patches; inclusion of pch will no doubt make it much more time consuming. I haven't seen anyone post testsuite results for that mingw 3.4.0 version, so your evidence that mingw is ahead of cygwin is lacking.

Tim Prince