X starting difficulties

I just sat down with a colleague here who has never previously been able
to run X on his XP laptop.  I got it working, but *only* by doing this:

/usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -multiwindow &

- nothing else that I could think of could start X.

(The laptops here typically have ZoneAlarm installed, but I don't think
it's implicated this time since I was able to get X to work, as above.)

His initial problem was the "Cannot find font: fixed" error.  Once we
followed the faq workaround for that (re-install the fonts), we began
to make some progress.

I tried several ways to start X, which all failed:

>From Cygwin bash shell:

	startx

-->
    XWin was started with the following command line:

    X :0 -multiwindow -clipboard
    winClipboardProc - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
    winInitMultiWindowWM - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
    winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
    winClipboardProc - Call to select () failed: -1.  Bailing.
    winClipboardProc - XDestroyWindow succeeded.

    winClipboardIOErrorHandler!

I got the same problem using a local .bat script that does this:

    rem     The D: gets replaced by the real Cygwin drive during installation:
    D:
    chdir \cygwin\bin
    bash --login -c "PATH=$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin; startx -- -multiwindow"

Thinking it was a problem with the -clipboard option, I tried removing
it in the proper way, by creating a file ~/.xserverrc containing:

	userserverrc="-multiwindow"

That lead to worse problems (quite worrying, I think) -

    XWin was started with the following command line:

    /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -multiwindow
    winMultiWindowXMsgProc - pthread_mutex_unlock () returned.
    winMultiWindowXMsgProc - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
    winInitMultiWindowWM - pthread_mutex_unlock () returned.
    winInitMultiWindowWM - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
    winProcEstablishConnection - Hello
    winProcEstablishConnection - Clipboard is not enabled, returning.
    winMultiWindowXMsgProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
    winInitMultiWindowWM - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
    winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress

    winMultiWindowWMIOErrorHandler!

    winInitMultiWindowWM - Caught IO Error.  Exiting.
    winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress

In contrast, here are pieces of the XWin.log when started via
/usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -multiwindow &

    XWin was started with the following command line:

    /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -multiwindow
    winMultiWindowXMsgProc - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
    winInitMultiWindowWM - pthread_mutex_unlock () returned.
    winInitMultiWindowWM - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
    winProcEstablishConnection - Hello
    winProcEstablishConnection - Clipboard is not enabled, returning.
    winMultiWindowXMsgProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
    winInitMultiWindowWM - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.

Here's a diff output of the log from the successful way (<) and an
unsuccessful attempt that had clipboard turned off (>):

    53a54,59
    > winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress
    >
    > winMultiWindowWMIOErrorHandler!
    >
    > winInitMultiWindowWM - Caught IO Error.  Exiting.
    > winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress

Here's a diff output of the log from the successful way (<) and an
unsuccessful attempt that had clipboard turned on (>):

    9c9
    < /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -multiwindow
    ---
    > X :0 -multiwindow -clipboard
    39c39,40
    < winMultiWindowXMsgProc - Calling pthread_mutex(--) winConfigKeyboard - Layout: "00000409" (00000409)
    ---
    > (--) Setting autorepeat to delay=500, rate=31
    > (--) winConfigKeyboard - Layout: "00000409" (00000409)
    51c52,53
    < winProcEstablishConnection - Clipboard is not enabled, returning.
    ---
    > winInitClipboard ()
    > winProcEstablishConnection - winInitClipboard returned.
    52a55,57
    > winClipboardProc - Hello
    > DetectUnicodeSupport - Windows NT/2000/XP
    > winClipboardProc - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
    53a59,64
    > winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
    > winClipboardProc - Call to select () failed: -1.  Bailing.
    > winClipboardProc - XDestroyWindow succeeded.
    >
    > winClipboardIOErrorHandler!

Also, we couldn't start any X applications from the Cygwin menu items
via the Windows Start bar; apparently /usr/X11R6/bin isn't in the path,
so none of the commands were found.

luke