HELP - Installing/Using Cygwin for Perl

Hi,

I am absolutely new to perl and cygwin, so apologize if the question
appears trivial to you. I have been asked to write a perl script which
will work on unix and can be ported
To windows also. (I have searched through the archives).

1) I am not clear from the website if I need to install perl on
windows2000 first and then install a cygwin package for perl. Please
clarify.

2)I will be using Perl 5.6.1. So do I need to download cygwin perl
package which mentions
Perl 5.6.1 ?? (Not sure if version numbers are comparable here).

3)I went through the list of cygwin packages. I am not sure what all I
need to install.
For my requirements , I need to open and read from existing files ;
write to files;
Use the redirection operator " > " to do something like `java Myjavaprog
abc > tempFile`.
In addition to this I need to do pattern matching to compare the output
of the above
Command with the expected output (which I plan to store in an existing
file).

4) Also, in order to port my perl script from Unix to Windows the steps
that I understand I have to do is : I write a perl script on UNIX
 and put then copy that code into a file from the cygwin console window
?

5) Is there any sample code available (websites or otherwise) to do the
steps mentioned
In (3) that you may be aware of using cygwin?

Thanks
Ramneek