Re: cvs package bug: cannot open val-tags file

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Gervase Markham wrote:

> [Apologies if this is the wrong place for this bug report - cvshome.org
> is so impenetrable that I can't even search to see if this is an
> upstream cvs bug or not.]
>
> In Cygwin CVS 1.11.6-3 (but not 1.11.5-1 or 1.11.0-1), when trying to
> pull by tag, the following error is encountered:
>
> D:\mozilla>cvs -d //machine/share co -P -r NSPRPUB_PRE_4_2_CLIENT_BRANCH
> mozilla/nsprpub
> cvs checkout: warning: cannot open //machine/share/CVSROOT/val-tags
> read/write
> cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot read //machine/share/CVSROOT/val-tags
>
> Many other CVS operations (checkout, checkin, update) seem to work fine
> - it's only pulling by tag which fails.
>
> The repository in question is a copy of the Mozilla CVS repository,
> rsynced to a Win2K machine using Cygwin rsync and then SMB shared as
> readable and writable by all.
>
> The client machines we tried this on were running Win2K or Win2K3.
> CVSROOT was "//machine/sharepoint" when we didn't specify it on the
> command line. CYGWIN was set to "nontsec". The machine can cat and touch
> the val-tags file on the share - it seems that only the CVS process
> cannot see it correctly.
>
> We solved the issue by downgrading CVS to 1.11.5-1 using the Cygwin
> setup.exe, so the problem is not urgent for us.
>
> If more information is required, please ask. I'm subscribed to the
> digest version of the list, so it may take a day or two to get a response.
>
> Many thanks for your time,
> Gerv

Gerv,

I wonder if it's related to CVS's inability to remove lock directories
from some SMB shares, which I reported back in 2003...  That seems to be
hard to track, because different SMB shares have subtly different access
settings.  In any case, first try adding "nosmbntsec" to your $CYGWIN, and
see if it helps.  I also found that, when using Samba from AIX (don't know
about Linux/Windows), it helps to add the group that owns the repository
to /etc/group, and add the Cygwin user to that group.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu