-R flag for gcc

Hey guys, please forgive my ignorance - but I did try searching the mailing list / google for my answer first. My problem is that I'm trying to build PHP 5.0.0 from source using cygwin's gcc. When I do ./configure (no options) it fails... and in my config.log I see the following error message:

[snip]
configure:2099: checking if compiler supports -R
configure:2114: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c -R /usr/lib  1>&5
gcc: unrecognized option `-R'
/usr/lib: file not recognized: Is a directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure: failed program was:
#line 2107 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
[/snip]

---- configure -----
#! /bin/sh

---- confdefs.h -----
Just a bunch of defines.  Nothing special from what I can tell.

This is hopefully something you all can solve easily. From what I can tell the program thinks cygwin's gcc accepts the -R flag, but it doesn't which causes the failure? I tried searching the man page for gcc and only saw the R flag as a sub-option for debugging dumps. Also, there is *nothing* in my usr/lib/ directory, should there be something there?

Thanks in advance.
Jason