Re: BUG gcc-mingw 20040810-1 library search path

 --- "Gerrit P. Haase" <gp@familiehaase.de> escribió:
> Hallo sengtsongpa-cygwin001,

> Which version of gcc do you think it is working?
> Have you reinstalled
> the 'known to work' gcc version?  Isn't linking done
> by the linker?

Now, that was totally uncalled for; such cheap shots
are unbelievable common in this list. What do you
pretend with that, moral superiority by libel? And you
wonder why I'm using a throw-away email address?

> Now, the library path automatically searched by the
> linker is:
> /usr/i686-pc-mingw32/../lib/mingw/w32api
>
> % export tooldir=/usr/i686-pc-mingw32
> % ls ${tooldir}/lib/w32api
> ls: /usr/i686-pc-mingw32/lib/w32api: No such file or
> directory
>
> Hmmm, doesn't work, but it was always this way,
> wasn't it?

No. It was:

/usr/i686-pc-mingw32/../../lib/w32api

 -> /usr/lib/w32api

Or was it:

/usr/i686-pc-mingw32/../../../lib/w32api

 -> /lib/w32api

Don't remember with precision.

> Maybe the definition of tooldir for binutlis builds
> has changed?

You tell me.

> Sorry, but I don't see where I should change the
> bits in gcc.

As Robert MacNolty Jr. said as a first answer to my
initial report, this breaks *many* OSS projects that
use the Mingw backend in Cygwin to produce their win32
binaries, because, allow me to be bold, MSYS is a
joke, while Cygwin is not, as a development
environment.

At least, document it, make it *clearly visible* that
this is the new policy: *No implicit support for
w32api libraries*.

Other developers and project managers will know what
to expect, don't you think? And no,
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/blah.txt is not a good place for
such an important change. If people actually *read*
the documentation there, wouldn't the volume of this
list reduce in half? Most people don't even know such
documentation resource exists.