Re: Request for a version/ revision/ release number for the whole cygwin release/ distribution

On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 12:03:09AM -0700, David Christensen wrote:
><cygwin mailing list address deleted>

There is no reason to include the email address in your messages.  That
just adds spam fodder to the archives.

>>p.s.  I hereby volunteer my time to work on implementing my request.
>
>I'm still waiting to hear from somebody "in authority".  Do I need to
>post to cygwin-developers and/or cygwin-apps?

You received replies from two people "in authority" and one from the
maintainer of the setup program.  I see that you are subscribed to
the mailing list so you should have seen these messages.

Please respond to the points that have been made already rather than
responding only to yourself.

>I understand that cannot possibly lead the effort to achieve my
>request; I don't have the skills or the time.  I'm looking for a
>part-time position under the guidance of a leader who can mastermind a
>solution and feed me pieces to build and/or test.  My skill set
>includes C, Make, Perl, RCS/CVS, web programming, database programming,
>Unix systems programming, Unix and Windows system administration, etc.:
>
>http://www.holgerdanske.com/dpchrist/

So far, no one has volunteered to lead this project.  If there is
someone out there, they'll have to announce themselves here.  If there
really is a huge clamor for this type of "stable" cygwin, I would expect
that there would be one person out there who'd be interested in seeing
it happen.  From my personal experience with free software, I don't think
it's likely that you're going to get much of a response given the "I can't
do this.  I want someone else to do it" type of message.  Free software
is usually advanced by people taking the initiative themselves, not by
unknown people showing up in a mailing list and exhorting others to
carry out their plans.

If you are really interested in this maybe you should consider it a
learning experience and volunteer to lead the project yourself.

cgf