Re: PostInstallLast addons?

Robin Bowes schrieb:
Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 06:19:07PM -0700, Lex Ein wrote:
"Cygwin Setup - Finish

Create icons Have setup create icons for easy access to the Cygwin environment. [ ] Create icon on _Desktop [ ] Add icon to _Start Menu
Optional tasks - (may take many minutes!)
[ ] Build database (makewhatis) of man page short descriptions for
'whatis' & 'apropos'.
[ ] Build database (updatedb) of file names for 'locate'.

Display README information at exit. [ ] Display /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/ directory of README files.

I think that's a very good idea. It would need to be conditional on the existence of man and, I guess, find, though.

In the context of some of the earlier posts in this thread, can I suggest that the wording is a little less daunting to those not familiar with nuix/cygwin. OK, so "Build database (makewhatis) of man page short descriptions for 'whatis' & 'apropos'" may be technically correct, but wouldn't something like this be more "helpful":

  Optional tasks - (may take many minutes!)
    [ ] Build help index (used by 'whatis' and 'apropos' commands)
    [ ] Build file index (used by 'locate' command)

[ ] Update help index (used by 'whatis' and 'apropos' commands) [ ] Update file index (used by 'locate' command)

But all this would a non-issue if we would create these new commands or functionality. Then no setup changes would be needed.
* updatewhatis which gets the filelist of the new man files.
* updatedb which should accept a new argument for the package MANIFEST
to be merged into. Easier just a removal <MANIFEST> and add <MANIFEST>
option.

On unix it's a non-issue because they have faster forks and esp.
faster filesystems.

$ time makewhatis

real    16m6.209s
user    7m56.942s
sys     2m38.845s

$ time updatedb
/usr/bin/find: /.ssh: Permission denied
/usr/bin/find: Fehler in /etc/mtab: /a.: No such file or directory

real    2m22.452s
user    0m0.674s
sys     0m0.636s

BTW, a nice locate bug eh. algorithmic issue (problematic trigram):

$ locate xx
/bin/cygdb_cxx-3.1.dll
/bin/cygdb_cxx-4.1.dll
/bin/cygdb_cxx-4.2.dll
/bin/cyggmpxx-3.dll
/bin/xxd.exe

$ which /bin/xxd.exe
/bin/xxd.exe: Command not found.

$ ls /bin/??x.exe
/bin/osx.exe  /bin/ptx.exe  /bin/rdx.exe  /bin/tex.exe  /bin/upx.exe

But I'm just too busy right now for this. I have to bring out a new release and search for another libtool bug.
Besides the pet cygwin projects.
--
Reini Urban
http://phpwiki.org/