Re: Cygwin & openssh(d) & login without password

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.

> > On Oct  5 16:00, David Campbell wrote:
> > > I've read lots of web pages about how to set it up, and I believe I've
> > > followed them, eg http://bumblebee.lcs.mit.edu/ssh2/ (for openssh to
> > > openssh):
> >
> > WHY DON'T YOU READ THE OFFICIAL DOCUMENTATION INSTEAD? [caps mine]
> > OpenSSH comes with a lot of man pages.  Then there's
> > /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README.
> > Then you could have used ssh-host-config and ssh-user-config for the
> > basic configuration.
>
> BECAUSE in the case of openssh(and others), the "official documentation"
> is of little use to a new user: information is not gathered, stored, or
> presented in a orderly, logical, or sensible hierarchical manner, is not
> meaningfully cross-referenced, and is not reasonably searchable.
> There's just no usable thread to pull to unravel the mystery, either.
>
> Let's examine the steps a new user might pursue:
> [snip]
> 8. Let's say the user somehow finds openssh.README.
> [snip]
> To make the docs _easy_ to find would go against the dinosaur mentality
> of "Back in the day, I had to read all the docs before I could do
> anything, and now so do you."

It's been suggested before to make Cygwin-specific package README files
available on-line (off the package search/contents page).  Is this still
an acceptable solution?

Another proposal: add a "cygreadme" script, or even a "--readme/-R" option
to cygcheck, that would display the Cygwin-specific README file from a
given package...  Any takers? ;-)
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw