Re: Cygwin & openssh(d) & login without password

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 09:13:21 -0700 (PDT), Vince Rice wrote:
> Lots of things are "obvious" to an experienced user that aren't to a
> new user (something I'm thankfully reminded of every time I sit with my wife at
> a computer for more than five minutes).  And the steps lex ein laid are
> extremely accurate.  For a new user.

I agree with Chris that this is a Unix/Linux problem and not
Cygwin-specific, and
thus off-topic for this mailing list. However, I would like our documentation to
be improving and I am open to suggestions that might have helped in this
case.

On the other hand, I also believe that for every beginning user that
has trouble
installing from confusion, there are probably many who look at the FAQ or
User's Guide, both of which answer questions about finding documentation:

<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_toc.html#TOC24>

<http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/cygwin-ug-net/setup-net.html>

The User's Guide even specifically says "A few packages, such as the OpenSSH
server, require some manual site-specific configuration. Relevant
documentation can
be found in the /usr/doc/Cygwin/ directory." (I'll update that to
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/)
I wish this would show up in a Google search, but I guess you have to
be a web-searchaholic to know how to get the documentation but exclude
the mailing lists:

"openssh setup -inurl:ml site:cygwin.com"