Re: When is WinXP not WinXP?? - not *really* OT

Daniel Miller <dan@imi-test.com> wrote in
Xns95815D0F71AA5dancarddupercom@80.91.229.5:">news:Xns95815D0F71AA5dancarddupercom@80.91.229.5:

> Daniel Miller <dan@imi-test.com> wrote in
> Xns958070E64AD1Adancarddupercom@80.91.229.5:">news:Xns958070E64AD1Adancarddupercom@80.91.229.5:
>
> I propose that this is *not* really off-topic, since the problems that
> I'm experiencing do not occur in cmd.exe, nor in 4NT, only in Bash.
> So it's something Bash is doing in its environment that is breaking
> StdOut, at least relative to whatever Win32 looks at.
>
> BTW, I did not install Cygwin on the Home machine by copying from the
> other machine, I installed it using setup.exe, downloaded from Cygwin.
>
> Also, in response to Dave Korn's previous message, GetLastError() is
> returning error 6 (The handle is Invalid)...

A further note is that handles returned by GetStdHandle() always have
GENERIC_READ and GENERIC_WRITE access, "unless SetStdHandle function was
used to set a standard handle to be some handle with a lesser access."
(per MSDN).  Certainly  I didn't use SetStdHandle for *any* purpose,
which is why the utility works under other shells.  Does Bash use
SetStdHandle or some equivalent to change the console environment??

//  repeating the offending code snippet:
   /* get the standard handles */
   hStdOut = GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE);
   PERR(hStdOut != INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE, "GetStdHandle");

   //  get screen information.
   //  If this call fails, assume we are re-directing output.
   bSuccess = GetConsoleScreenBufferInfo(hStdOut, &sinfo) ;
   // PERR(bSuccess, "GetConsoleScreenBufferInfo");
   if (bSuccess == false) {
      fprintf(stderr, "gcsbi error: %s\n", get_system_message()) ;
      exit(1) ;
      redirected = 1 ;
      return ;
   }