RE: unable to edit/less dotted files, etc.

  That is _years_ out of date.

> after the initial install, only later. I can list them with
> ls -al, but
> "vi .bashrc" opens up a new file, and less returns "No such file or
> directory". The files are accessible under Win2k, and do not appear
> corrupted.

  You've probably done something bad with the perms.  Or you installed
cygwin "Just for me", and now you've logged on as a different user.......?
The "file not found" error message can often be a result of an application
not realising that the file is there but the user doesn't have access
rights.

> Also, I now notice that other files - filenames that don't conform to
> DOS 8.3 format - also are listable but not editable. I have a source
> file "main.cas", which I can edit. I cp'd it to
> "main_inst.cas", which
> is listable with ls. But when I try to vi it, I get a new
> file. mv'ing
> it to maininst.cas renders it editable.

  Strange.  Still, there's not a lot of point reporting bugs in such an old
version of cygwin.  I can't reproduce anything like that with the current
version.

    cheers,
      DaveK