RE: http://rateless.com/ GPL violation?

Dave Korn wrote:
> [...]
..snip..
>> Out of curiosity, what makes you think they are using cygwin code?
>
>   Probably the link on the download page that says
> "Precompiled binaries for cygwin on windows".
They may have changed their web site, it now says
"Rateless Tunnel 1.0 for Windows with Cygwin - 200KB" and
"Rateless Copy 1.0 for Windows with Cygwin - 220KB"
As there are standalone version for windows and linux also I would have
taken that to mean it was a version for those people fortunate to have
cygwin installed.

>   Of course, if anyone requires proof, here it is:
I was just curious after looking at the site.

> dk@mace /win/c/downloads/rateless> cygcheck *.exe
> Found: .\rateless-copy.exe
> rateless-copy.exe
>   C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
>     C:\WINDOWS\System32\ADVAPI32.DLL
>       C:\WINDOWS\System32\ntdll.dll
>       C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNEL32.dll
>       C:\WINDOWS\System32\RPCRT4.dll
>
> Found: .\rateless-tunnel.exe
> rateless-tunnel.exe
>   C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
>     C:\WINDOWS\System32\ADVAPI32.DLL
>       C:\WINDOWS\System32\ntdll.dll
>       C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNEL32.dll
>       C:\WINDOWS\System32\RPCRT4.dll
> dk@mace /win/c/downloads/rateless>
Yep, now I downloaded version of copy for windows and windows-with-cygwin,
the only difference is the bundled cygwin1.dll, the .exe's are identical.
It's not the current dll either.
Strings include
-LIBGCCW32-EH-SJLJ-GTHR-CYGWIN
cygwin_internal
cygwin1.dll

>   LOL.  They owe me their source code.
Yep, "de dum dum dum, another one bites the dust"

How hard is it to understand - if you want to capitalize on someone else's
code you usually have to pay for it, one way or another (after all some
people use bsd-ish licenses).

Sorry for the noise, Bill
--
       ___
  oo  // \\      "De Chelonian Mobile"

This e-mail transmission is strictly confidential and intended solely
for the person or organisation to whom it is addressed. It may contain
privileged and confidential information and if you are not the intended
recipient, you must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance
on it. If you have received this email in error, please reply to the
sender as soon as possible and delete the message. Please note that we
are able to, and reserve the right to, monitor e-mail communications
passing through our network.

The views expressed in this email are not that of the company unless
specified within the message.

The inclusion of this footnote indicates that the mail message and any
attachments have been checked for the presence of known viruses.

If you have any comments regarding our policy please direct them to
postmaster@cox.co.uk