Re: Perl 5.8.5 and libwin32 0.191-1 incompatibility

I recently followed the advice at

http://fairtomiddlin.blogspot.com/2004/09/cygwin.html
and noting:
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2004-01/msg00011.html

and apparently got libwin32-0.191 patched and handcrafted to build for perl 5.8.5 on cygwin, pass many tests, and install. It ran about 250 tests and then noted that I am not on a Windows network, and stopped running tests. That was "good enough for me" (TM). After install,

perl -w -MWin32::Shortcut -e1
perl -w -MWin32::GUI -e1

had no complaints.

1. Use "setup" (Download cygwin now!) to get the "source" and patches. It is under "Interpreters" as perl-libwin32 version 0.191-1.

2. Go to /usr/src/ and see libwin32-0.191.tar.gz and perl-libwin32-0.191-1.patch and .sh .

3.

tar -xzf libwin32-0.191.tar.gz

and then apply the patch with

patch -p0 < perl-libwin32-0.191-1.patch (as I recall...)

4. Handcraft:

Regarding GUIDKIND_DEFAULT_SOURCE_DISP_IID , I downloaded the Windows Developer SDK and for my Windows 2000 box, and did a search for files
containing that term, and saw it in olectl.h in cygwin/usr/include/w32api defined as "1", and also in OCIdl.h (sp?) also defined as "1", so what the hell:

I defined it in OLE/OLE.xs
around line 30 in context as:

#define MY_VERSION "Win32::OLE(" XS_VERSION ")"
#define GUIDKIND_DEFAULT_SOURCE_DISP_IID 1
#define register /* be gone */

Regarding DateTime_SetSystemTime and relatives, I commented out two defines in win32perl.h around line 222:

/* #define DateTime_GetSystemtime DateTime_GetSystemTime */
/* #define DateTime_SetSystemtime DateTime_SetSystemTime */

I have also produced a patch file that will apply all the changes necessary to the original libwin32-0.191 , but it is almost 7 megs and gzips to about 2 megs. I can email it to interested parties, as well as

perl -V

and

cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out

Hope this helps, but your milage may vary.

Mike

This communication is for use by the intended recipient and contains information that may be privileged, confidential or copyrighted under
in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender
by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system. Unless
explicitly and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended",
this e-mail does not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment,
or an acceptance of a contract offer. This e-mail does not constitute
a consent to the use of sender's contact information for direct marketing
purposes or for transfers of data to third parties.

Francais Deutsch Italiano Espanol Portugues Japanese Chinese Korean