Re: Problems with 'emacs -nw'

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, kynn wrote:

> I just installed Cygwin on my desktop.  Everything works OK, except
> 'emacs -nw'.
>
> If I invoke Emacs in a Cygwin terminal as 'emacs -nw', the backspace
> key behaves like C-h, i.e. the prefix for Emacs' help commands (C-h
> still behaves like C-h).  More bizarrely, when I hit the combination
> C-x C-c, Emacs reports (via describe-key) that it sees C-x C-g.
>
> If I first ssh into a Linux host and run 'emacs -nw' there I get
> similar problems, but the details vary depending on how I establish
> the ssh connection.  If I connect by first starting an xterm with
> something like
>
>   xterm -e /usr/bin/bash -l &
>
> and then running 'ssh -Y' from the resulting shell, then when I run
> 'emacs -nw' on the remote host, Emacs sees both backspace and C-h
> as C-h.  If instead I start the ssh session with
>
>   xterm -e ssh -Y remote.host.net
>
> and run 'emacs -nw', then Emacs sees both backspace and C-h as "delete
> to the left of the cursor".  In both of these remote-host scenarios,
> C-x C-c quits Emacs as usual.
>
> If I start Emacs as an X application, whether on the local workstation
> or on a remote host, backspace, C-h, and C-x C-c work perfectly.  Also
> backspace works fine in every other terminal-based application (e.g.
> interactive bash, vi, etc.).
>
> How can I fix the mess with Emacs?
>
> I should point out that I log into remote hosts from many other
> systems other than the Cygwin system described here, so I need a
> solution that will not screw up the behavior of Emacs on remote
> hosts when I access them from local hosts other than Cygwin.
>
> Thanks!
> kj

Quoting from the emacs package announcement
(<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2004-04/msg00000.html>):

	New users please be aware:

	- You will want "tty" included in your CYGWIN environment variable
	setting, and probably "binmode".  Look at the following for some
	documentation: http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html

I think that pretty much says it all...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT