RE: How to install a individual package

http://cygwin.com/acronyms/index.html#PCYMTNQREAIYR

At Thursday, October 28, 2004 9:07 PM, Yin Ming wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 18:07:41 -0400
> "Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID)" <XXxxxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx.xxx> wrote:
>
>> At Wednesday, October 27, 2004 9:07 PM, Yin Ming wrote:
>>> But, the version of vim package is too new, it's 6.3-1, but my
>>> cygwin is only 1.9.10-1 ( the version of cygwin package ). Must I
>>> update the whole.
>>>
>>> And, from my home, it's very slow to download packages via
>>> setup.exe, is there a fast http/ftp url to download the whole
>>> package ?
>>
>> Versions refer to the individual packages, there is not overall
>> version number for a "cygwin distribution".  See "What version of
>> Cygwin is this, anyway?" in the FAQ
>> http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/faq/faq.html#SEC5. Also see the
>> recent email archives for discussion of creating a versioned
>> release.
>>
>> The most recent version of the cygwin1.dll and associated utilities
>> is
>> 1.5.11-1.  (1.9.10-1 "the version of cygwin package" does not yet
>> exist.) Your vim (6.3-1) is up to date.
> I pressed the wrong key, it's only 1.3.10-1... sigh, have to download
> it again.
>
> Thank you, men.

The cygwin package itself is only a bit over a megabyte, so it does not take
that long, even over dial-up.  (I speak from experience -- I have 56k
dial-up at home.)  You do not have to redownload everything.  Setup is
capable of figuring out what needs to be updated and downloading just that.
In the chooser, change the "View" to "Partial".