Re: cron won't execute tasks

At 12:16 PM 10/29/2004, you wrote:

>On Oct 28, 2004, at 6:04 PM, Larry Hall wrote:
>
>>At 08:22 PM 10/28/2004, you wrote:
>>>Hello all,
>>>
>>>This problem is driving me insane (I don't have far to go ;-).
>>>
>>>Configuration:
>>>Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition, quad processor, 12 GB RAM.  Just downloaded Cygwin a few days ago.  So, it should be the latest.
>>>
>>>The possible root cause:
>>>BTW, I am trying to run cron as a service.
>>>Our IT person installed Cygwin under a domain account.  Cron would run every minute but wouldn't switch user context.  So, I had him re-install Cygwin under a new local account that was assigned to the Windows Administrators group.
>>

>>In addition to what Igor said, make sure you've read
>>'/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/cron.README'.  'crond' won't be able to switch users
>>if your service isn't run as SYSTEM.  Running it as a member of the Domain
>>Users and/or Administrators is of no value/use.
>
>Actually, the only way I can get cron to execute tasks as a service is to indicate the login to be the current user.  Otherwise, if I set it to allow the SYSTEM account to be used it will return an error in the system log indicating it couldn't switch user context.
>Any ideas why?
>
>Thanks!

Well, you can read the note about W2K3 in
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README.  You may want to try that procedure.
But I suppose if you're only using cron as the using you're running the
service as, then going the "SYSTEM" route isn't required, other than it
being an interesting/worthwhile data point for you.

Holliston, MA 01746