Re: Can I launch a graphical windows app from within a cygwin ssh session

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Mark Stuhr wrote:

> Subject line says it, but let me describe further <g>.
>
> I'm hoping to set cygwin with ssh up on servers so that I can remotely
> manage those servers when not able to get in via terminal services or
> other graphical remote control app.
>
> What I want to be able to do from within that ssh session includes but is
> not limited to
>
> kill a process
> net stop or start a service
> restart the machine
> (I'm pretty comfortable doing all of the above)
> launch a windows app that should run on that remote (or host, can never
> keep that syntax straight) box.  (In other words a server runs an app most
> of the time, but not as a service.  That app needs restarting for whatever
> reason and I'm on the road.  I can dial in with my pocketpc and get an ssh
> session going to that server, at that point I'd want to kill that app,
> easy, then I need to restart that app so it will stay running on that
> server even after I disconnect my ssh session.
>
> How do I do that???
>
> PS I have googled and searched mailing list and read FAQs and
> documentation and tried various tests that I can think of and have seen
> nothing on this, so apologies in advance if I'm missing the obvious.

If all you want is to make sure the app is running on the machine (i.e.,
you don't actually need to see the screens on your pocketpc), install the
sshd service using the "-i" cygrunsrv flag (which *will* open an extra
console window for sshd, but that can't be helped), and then you should be
able to use "setsid progname" or even "cygstart progname" from your ssh
session.

Please let this list know if this works,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT