RE: What to do when setup fails?

On 11 Nov, To: Dave Korn wrote:
>  I'll investigate further, but I think you've cracked my problem.
>  Thanks, Dave!

Certainly, the confusing part was getting an error that stopped setup
and which was reported as "mount: the command completed successfully."

I've tried again today with Administrators privileges and it's worked
much better.  Still not installed, though.  It's stopped at the 99%
Install stage, with setup reporting for the last hour:

	Installing
	xwinwm-0.0.5-1
	/usr/bin/wimwm.exe

There seems to be a lot of disc activity, and the title ("99% - Cygwin
Setup") flickering as if it's being refreshed a lot.

The last message in /var/log/tmp/setup.log is "Ending Cygwin Install",
but it's from 9 days ago, at my previous attempt.

I started looking for the real log find via explorer's search, while
running "procexp", which shows that the I/O was churning away in the
"Other" category - the number of reads and writes weren't changing,
just the "other" category (presumably VM activity).

I dropped the priority from normal to low, and a few minutes later a
panel popped up saying:

	Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error
	Runtime Error!
	Program \\samba\install\win32\cygwin\setup.exe
	This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an
	unusual way.  Please contact the application's support team for
	more information.

In the resources view of setup.exe (in procexp), it did mention one
item of interest amongs the thousands of files etc.:

	KeyedEvent	\KernelObjects\CritSectOutOfMemoryEvent

which sounds like a bit of a giveaway.

Indeed, Task Manager showed the system was thrashing - instead of
displaying memory, it was showing page faults, which had climbed to
1.93GB (the system only has 512MB of RAM).

By the time it had crashed with the above panel, Task Manager was
showing setup of using only 10MB of memory.  Yet as soon as I clicked
on OK for the runtime error, the pages were very quickly handed back to
the system and it returned to about 100MB of memory in use (no page
faults).  So it sounds like setup.exe was the culprit.

This is an old version of setup.  I notice that my post-install stuff
detected the problem of a failed install (symptom: missing /etc/profile
file).  The sanest thing to do will be to reboot, and try installing a
much more recent Cygwin.

If that fails, I'll scrub the installed files and reg keys, and try
again.

I'll let you know what happens.

Regards,

luke