RE: howto register process

> -----Original Message-----
> From: kamen On Behalf Of Kamen TOMOV
> Sent: 11 November 2004 19:06
> To: Dave Korn

  Don't know if you just forgot to send this reply to the list as well as to me,
but see the first paragraph of
for a list of reasons why to always send replies to the list.

> > > The parent process is started as a windows server. Then it
> > > executes cygwin's fork. When I try to kill any of these with
> > > kill() it returns "No such pid".
> >
> >   Does your username have sufficient privileges to kill processes
> > belonging to whichever user (perhaps SYSTEM, eh?) that the server is
> > running as?  It might be a slightly bogus error message from kill,
> > when really it should have indicated "access denied".
>
> I run all these as an Administrator. I tryed calling
> cygwin_winpid_to_pid(), which is part of the cygwin's api and it
> returns -1 when given a process not seen with "ps -ef". -1 means that
> it can't find such pid.
>
> >   BTW, kill() doesn't return a const char *.  I take it you're
> > referring to the value in errno after the call, and the error
> > message that perror () generates from that?  Or are you referring to
> > the utility program /bin/kill?
>
> kill() prints int STDERR the error message - it is not returned by it.

  That strikes me as very very wrong indeed for a library function.  A quick
scan through signal.cc doesn't seem to show anything in kill, kill0, or
kill_worker, that would have that effect, though as always with C++, an awful
lot of the detail can be hidden inside implied constructors or overloaded
operators.  Are you _quite_ sure you're calling cygwin's kill?

    cheers,
      DaveK