sometimes resource alters but version numbers don't

Hi,

Recently 23 files *.tar.bz2 under release/X11/ altered and so did the
matching md5sums in setup.ini. (So these were real changes, not just a
case of a buggy setup.ini catching up with release/.)

However the version numbers did not alter, and so users with the earlier
download i.j.old are not updated to i.j.new. In some sense this must
matter, otherwise the substitution would not have been made or the
version numbers would have been incremented.

There are precedents for this, not under X11/, and anyway it seems to me
to be a setup issue not specifically cygwin-x.

A while ago there were objections posted to this list along the lines
"oh God, another day, another version of xemacs" and I can see that
there is a class of improvements (spelling, minor packaging, ...) that
do not really make a new download worthwhile, let alone essential.
Obviously maintainers can behave as they want, and maybe uploading to
the mirrors is the best way of making sure such improvements are not
forgotten, but it does lead to some disconcerting mismatches for those
sad nutcases (e.g. me) who spend far too much time on housekeeping.

Have I described correctly what has happened here (minor improvements)
or has something actually gone wrong with setup.ini <-> release/X11/?

Fergus