Re: scp exits often with -1

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 09:15:49AM +0100, J?rg Schaible wrote:
[snip]
>>Well, this *is* the list for reporting problems with Cygwin.  Sorry,
>>that I missed among all the other 450 mail per month, the one Chris
>>stated, that he don't want straces sent to list without further asking.
>
> My reason for stating this is that the majority of people who send strace
> output snip the wrong part.  Often people snip something that they think
> shows a problem and send that lines and the next hundred lines.  It turns
> out to be wasted bandwidth.

That's the reason, why I just sent the first part, where the initialization
of all the pipes and forked processes can be seen and the last part, when
scp is shutting down the processes again. I think the middle part,
observing scp looking into the private keys and sending the file, is quite
useless for this problem.

> strace is a tool for people who are willing to look at source code.
> Sending megabytes of an unsolicited strace before someone has indicated
> that they are willing to help is usually pointless.

Yeah, understand that.

> FWIW, I ran scp in a loop sending a large file to a system on my local
> network and to sourceware.org for hours a couple of days ago without
> problems.

Since I call from Java always "strace -o /tmp/scp.strace scp" I don't have
the problem also. It's slow, but works. Too weird :(
At least I could reproduce it without Java also. FWIW.

> If this is a problem with the new pipe code then maybe Bob Byrnes could
> offer some insight.

As said, I'll take any further action to isolate it. Would you expect a
difference using the current snapshot?

- Jörg