Re: [OT now] RE: cygwin sshd will not run under McAfee VirusScan 8.0i

Dave Korn schrieb:
-----Original Message-----
From: cygwin-owner On Behalf Of Michael Hipp
Sent: 19 November 2004 19:06
I thought I was the only one with that opinion of McNorton.
We are not alone!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=norton+%2Bsucks
"Results 1 - 10 of about 87,900 for norton +sucks"

If you simply must run AV, try something more civil like AVG. It at least as the virtue of mostly staying out of the way.

AVG or antivir.de

  That is indeed what I almost always recommend to victims^Wusers^Wvictims
of Norton's bugware, and I can't praise it highly enough.  Small, simple,
unintrusive and effective.

  Oh, and just to be absolutely clear: it's not just "Not-on" AV, it's
absolutely *everything* Norton: their internet security package, their
anti-spam stuff, their pc-health-monitoring stuff: the entire suite should
be despised with deep prejudice.

indeed.

  I regularly get thanked by ex-Norton-sufferers, whose machines I have
removed it from and given them something decent like the AVG+ZA combination,
and they say things like "Wow, my machine only takes a fraction of the time
to startup it used to and everything it does is so much faster and smoother
running...."

Somewhen in the nearer future clamav will have FindFirstChangeNotification support. ("on-access scanning")
Technically no major problem, just how to get the config compatible with Dazuko/Clamuko. It's even written by an antivir.de developer.
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/