Re: Manual page width is fixed and I'd like it not to be

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 06:50:57PM -0500, Aaron Miller wrote:
>Thanks for the pointer, and I'll ask on the cygwin-xfree list as well.
>It's not really a query about xterm, though: using a shortcut that
>starts bash in a standard Windows command-shell which is 100 columns
>wide, if I ask for a manual page, I still get it formatted to eighty
>columns.  I mentioned xterms since that's what I prefer to use, but
>it's not by any means a problem exclusive to those.

Ok, you and three or four other people made this point after I blocked
the subject here because I thought it was xterm specific.

Instead, it isn't even cygwin-specific.  All of my man pages are
formatted to 80 columns on linux, too.  If you think about how man
works, where it caches the formatted output in a separate directory
it is easy to see why that is the case.

cgf