From: Igor Pechtchanski [mailto:pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 9:46 AM
To: Andy Hall
Cc: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Upgraded man command

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Andy Hall wrote:

> I updated my cygwin system on my W2K SP4 systemto the latest release of
> cygwin and the man command started to display man pages as follows:
>
> ESC[1mNAMEESC[0m
>        ln - make links between files
>
> ESC[1mSYNOPSISESC[0m
>        ESC[1mln ESC[22m[ESC[4mOPTIONESC[24m]... ESC[4mTARGETESC[24m
> [ESC[4mLINK_NAMEESC[24m]
>        ESC[1mln ESC[22m[ESC[4mOPTIONESC[24m]... ESC[4mTARGETESC[24m...
> ESC[4mDIRECTORYESC[0m
>        ESC[1mln ESC[22m[ESC[4mOPTIONESC[24m]...
> ESC[4m--target-directory=DIRECTORYESC[24m ESC[4mTARGETESC[24m...
>
> Interestingly, the man pages previously cached in /usr/man/cat1 seem to
> format just fine.  If I remove the cached version, I get something akin to
> the above.
>
> I suspect this is some sort of setup problem, but I have been unable to
> track it down.  All involved commands seem to be up-to-date.

I see that neither of MANPAGER, PAGER, and LESS is set in your
environment.
>>Right.  I use a pretty vanilla system for testing a fairly large messaging
>>system.  I tend to stay away from environment variables if I can.
Are you running straight "man", or is it aliased to
something?
>>Straight man.
Is your /usr/share/misc/man.conf different from
/usr/share/misc/man.conf.default?
>> There is no /usr/share/misc/man.conf.  Do I need one?  I should think
not.
If it is, the differences might give
you a clue as to what went wrong.
 What is the output of "man -cd ln |
tail -1"?
>>>Well the tail -1 did not work so the output of man -d must be on stderr.
Any way the last lines are:

not executing command:
  (cd "/usr/man" && (echo ".pl 11i"; cat '/usr/man/man1/ln.1') |
/usr/bin/tbl | /usr/bin/groff -Tascii -mandoc | less -i
s)

I do know from experimentation that the zipped versions of the man pages
produced by the updated man command are different from the ones produced by
the old man command.

Andy